Submitted By: Archie
Answered: January 16, 2012 2:59 pm

My brother who was single, died in 2011. His only income was from Social Security and retirement plan benefits. Do we need to file a tax return for him?

It depends on your whether your brother’s gross income exceeds the filing threshold for his marital status. For 2011, the filing threshold for those age 65 and older who are single is gross income of at least $10,950. If Social Security benefits are not taxed because of his income level, they do not count toward gross income.

Tax Glossary

Fiscal year

A 12-month period ending on the last day of any month other than December. Partnerships, S corporations, and personal service corporations are limited in their choice of fiscal years and face special restrictions.

More terms