Submitted By: Carol
Answered: June 11, 2013 8:30 am

Can a Roth IRA contribution for 2012 be made after April 15, 2013, if I have a filing extension?

No. The deadline for 2012 contributions was April 15, 2013, regardless of filing extensions. However, you can make a 2013 contribution now; you don’t have to wait until the end of the year or even up to April 15, 2014, to do so. The sooner you make the contribution, the sooner you begin to accrue potentially tax-free income.

Tax Glossary

Kiddie tax

The tax on the investment income in excess of $1,700 (may change after 2007) of a child under age 18, based on the parents’ marginal tax rate and computed on Form 8615.

More terms