Submitted By: Steve
Answered: September 17, 2013 8:30 am

I am self-employed and use one portion of my home as an office. My wife is also self-employed and uses a different part of the home as her office. Can we each claim a home office deduction?

Yes, assuming you each meet the eligibility tests for the home office deduction. Each of you would need to complete a separate Form 8829 and attach it to your separate Schedule Cs if you figure the deduction for 2013 using the actual expense method. Alternatively, if you each qualify for a home office deduction, both of you can use the new simplified method for your respective home offices, which is multiplying your square footage (up to 300 square feet) by $5.

Tax Glossary

Standard deduction

A fixed deduction allowed to taxpayers who do not itemize deductions. The amount depends on filing status, age, and blindness.

More terms