Submitted By: someone
Answered: June 30, 2022 12:16 am

I have to take an RMD this year. Can I have stock transferred directly from my retirement account to my taxable account to satisfy my RMD?

You may take an in-kind required minimum distribution (RMD) by having the IRA distribute stock to your taxable (non-IRA) account. The value of the stock on the date of the distribution determines the amount distributed to you for RMD purposes. Because of this, the basis in this stock in your taxable account becomes the amount reported for RMD purposes.

Tax Glossary

Section 179 deduction (or First-year expensing)

A deduction allowed for investments in depreciable business equipment in the year the property is placed in service.

More terms