Submitted By: Jacqueline
Answered: July 22, 2013 11:03 am

I inherited money from my parent who died in Thailand. He was not a U.S. citizen or resident. Is this money taxable? Do I have to file any IRS form?

The inheritance is fully tax free, regardless of amount. You do not have to report the inheritance on an income tax return or any other form.

Tax Glossary

Qualifying widow or widower

A filing status entitling the taxpayer with dependents to use joint tax rates for up to two tax years after the death of a spouse.

More terms