Submitted By: someone
Answered: December 9, 2020 10:33 pm

I overpaid my taxes and the IRS denied my refund claim. I want to take the government to court to get my money back (I believe I’m in the right). Can I deduct my legal fees for pursuing this case?

Legal fees related to seeking a refund of individual income taxes normally would be deductible as a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to the 2%-of-adjusted-gross-income floor. However, this deduction is suspended for 2018 through 2025. Win or lose, legal fees related to business taxes (but not personal taxes on business income) may be a deductible business expense.

Tax Glossary

Market discount

The difference between face value of a bond and lower market price, attributable to rising interest rates. On a sale, gain on the bond is generally taxed as ordinary income to the extent of the discount.

More terms