Submitted By: someone
Answered: July 22, 2018 10:59 pm

I own rental property and have made some expenditures. Can I use a safe harbor for an immediate deduction?

Instead of depreciating certain expenditures, you may be able to use an IRS-created de minimis safe harbor to deduct these costs (up to $2,500 per item or invoice). You can find more about the safe harbor from the IRS at Also keep in mind that in 2018, you can use 100% bonus depreciation to write off the full cost of equipment and machinery as well as certain capital improvements to commercial realty.

Tax Glossary

Tax-sheltered annuity

A type of retirement annuity offered to employees of charitable organizations and educational systems, generally funded by employee salary-reduction contributions.

More terms