Submitted By: someone
Answered: April 6, 2021 11:31 pm

I receive disability from my employer, which is reported to me on Form W-2. Can I use this as a basis to make a Roth IRA contribution?

Long-term disability income that you receive prior to the minimum retirement age under your employer’s plan and that is shown as taxable compensation in box 1 of Form W-2 is treated as earned income for purposes of contributing to an IRA or Roth IRA. Excludable disability income and Social Security benefits payable for disability are not treated as earned income for purposes of funding a Roth IRA.

Tax Glossary

Simplified employee plan (SEP)

IRA-type plan set up by an employer, rather than the employee. Salary-reduction contributions may be allowed to plans of small employers set up before 1997.

More terms