Submitted By: Thomas and others
Answered: August 27, 2013 8:30 am

I took a distribution from my IRA. Form 1099-R doesn’t show that I did so because of disability. I’m younger than 59-1/2 and don’t want to pay the 10% penalty. What do I do?

You can treat the distribution from the IRA as exempt from the penalty if you are disabled. Just be sure that you meet the strict definition of disability that applies in this case. To be disabled in order to escape the 10% early distribution penalty, you must be able to show that you have a physical or mental condition that can be expected to last indefinitely or result in death and that the condition prevents you from engaging in any substantial gainful activity similar to the type of work you were doing before the condition arose.

Tax Glossary


A tax credit directly reduces tax liability, as opposed to a deduction that reduces income subject to tax.

More terms