Submitted By: someone
Answered: July 22, 2018 10:40 pm

If I filed for an extension for my 2017 income tax return, do I have more time to make a catchup contribution to my employer’s 401(k) plan?

Employee contributions to 401(k) plans are done on an annual basis. There is no period after the end of the year to complete contributions. So unlike IRA contributions that can be made up to the filing deadline of the return, or SEP contributions by a self-employed individual up to the extended due date of the return, salary reduction contributions to a 401(k) plan must be completed by the end of the year to which they relate.

Tax Glossary

Health reimbursement arrangement (HRA)

Employer established account that provides tax-free reimbursements to employees for deductibles and other expenses that could be taken as itemized deductions.

More terms