Submitted By: Harry
Answered: January 7, 2014 8:30 am

If I pay a painting contractor $1,000 to paint my apartment, do I have to issue a Form 1099?

No. The requirement to issue a Form 1099 for the payment of services of $600 or more to an independent contractor applies only to businesses. It does not apply to services for individuals.

Tax Glossary


Generally, the amount paid for property. You need to know your basis to figure gain or loss on a sale.

More terms