Submitted By: Edward
Answered: August 13, 2013 8:30 am

I’m 100% disabled according to the Veterans Administration. Am I entitled to an additional exemption?

No, unless your disability is blindness. This is the only condition for which an additional personal exemption can be claimed on a federal income tax return. However, if your income is very modest and you aren’t receiving Social Security benefits, you may be eligible for a tax credit for the elderly and permanently disabled. The credit is very small. Check with your state to see if there are any income tax breaks for state income tax purposes.

Tax Glossary

Capital loss carryover

A capital loss that is not deductible because it exceeds the annual $3,000 capital loss ceiling. A carryover loss may be deducted from capital gains of later years plus up to $3,000 of ordinary income.

More terms