Submitted By: someone
Answered: October 21, 2014 8:30 am

I’ve supported the 9-year-old son of the person I live with for the entire year. Can I take a dependency exemption for this child?

A child who is unrelated to the person who provides support may be able to claim a dependency exemption if the child is a qualifying relative. Even though there are no blood ties, a qualifying relative includes a child of another taxpayer as long as that other taxpayer is not required to file a tax return (or does so only to obtain a refund). But check all the tests for a dependency exemption (support, gross income, etc.).

Tax Glossary

Private letter ruling

A written determination issued to a taxpayer by the IRS that interprets and applies the tax laws to the taxpayer’s specific set of facts. A letter ruling advises the taxpayer regarding the tax treatment that can be expected from the IRS in the circumstances specified by the ruling. It may not be used or cited as precedent by another taxpayer.

More terms