Submitted By: Patricia
Answered: February 18, 2014 8:30 am

My spouse died in 2013 with a sizable capital loss carryover. Can I carry the loss back?

Capital losses can be carried forward only to offset capital gains (and up to $3,000 of ordinary income) in future years. The capital losses of a deceased spouse can be used on the final joint return, but the surviving spouse cannot carry the excess forward for used by the spouse in future years.

Tax Glossary

Self-employed person

An individual who operates a business or profession as a proprietor or independent contractor and reports self-employment income on Schedule C.

More terms