Submitted By: Fred
Answered: November 4, 2014 8:30 am

My wife is recuperating from an illness, and because I work long hours, I engaged a housekeeper to do chores. Her doctor advised her not to do chores until she’s recovered. Can I deduct the wages I pay to the housekeeper?

The cost of housekeeping services are never a deductible medical expense; only personal care services may be deductible under certain conditions. However, the cost of housekeeping services incurred to enable you to work may qualify for a dependent care tax credit. To be eligible for this credit, the nonworking spouse must be physically or mentally incapable of self-care. Whether your wife meets this condition is up to your doctor.

Tax Glossary

Tangible personal property

Movable property, such as desks, computers, machinery, and autos, depreciable over a five-year or seven-year period.

More terms