Submitted By: someone
Answered: November 25, 2019 10:12 pm

Our daughter, who is age 19, works part time and goes to college. She lives with us. Can we take an education credit for the tuition we pay on her behalf?

It appears that your daughter is your dependent, assuming she’s listed as such on your return. But whether you qualify to take the American opportunity credit or the lifetime learning credit depends on how long she’s been in college and the amount of your modified adjusted gross income; check the instructions for Form 8863.

Tax Glossary

Appreciation in value

Increase in value of property due to market conditions. When you sell appreciated property, you pay tax on the appreciation since the date of purchase. When you donate appreciated property held long term, you may generally deduct the appreciated value.

More terms