Submitted By: Sarah
Answered: October 14, 2016 11:22 am

Our son graduated from college this past May and is now living at home. Can we claim him as our dependent?

A child can be a parent’s dependent if under age 24 and a full-time student who does not provide more than half of his/her support. A full-time student means the child is enrolled in school on a full-time basis for at least part of five months during the year. You must decide whether your son meets these tax requirements to be treated as your dependent.

Tax Glossary

Amount realized

A statutory term used to figure your profit or loss on a sale or exchange. Generally, it is sales proceeds plus mortgages assumed or taken subject to, less transaction expenses, such as commissions and legal costs.

More terms