Submitted By: Sophie
Answered: October 12, 2015 11:27 am

My spouse is on Medicare; I’m not. Can I set up a health savings account?

Eligibility for a health savings account (HSA) is determined for each individual. If you qualify, you can set up an account for yourself even though your spouse is ineligible for one because of being on Medicare. Thus, if you are too young for Medicare and have a high-deductible health plan (either a self-only plan or a family plan covering you and a dependent), you can contribute to the account. Usually, the bronze plan from a government Marketplace meets the definition of a high-deductible health plan. Remember that if you are at least 55 years old, you can add up to $1,000 to the basic contribution limit.

Tax Glossary

Income in respect of a decedent

Income earned by a person before death but taxable to an estate or heir who receives it.

More terms