Submitted By: Bob
Answered: February 10, 2017 9:00 am

Where do I report the sale of a vacation home that I’ve owned for years?

A vacation home is a capital asset. As such, gain is reported on Schedule D (after entering the transaction on Form 8949 in the space for long-term transactions not reported on Form 1099-B). If the sale resulted in a loss, you may not deduct it because a loss on the sale of personal-use property is not deductible. You do not have to report the loss transaction on Form 8949 or Schedule D unless you received a Form 1099-S for it; in that case, you must enter an adjustment on Form 8949/Schedule D to indicate the loss is not deductible.

Tax Glossary

Individual retirement account (IRA)

A retirement account to which up to $4,000 (or $5,000 if you are 50 or over) may be contributed for 2007, but deductions for the contribution are restricted if you are covered by a company retirement plan. Earnings accumulate tax free.

More terms